Researchers have found that a hacker can take over many home gadgets, including baby monitors and security cameras, in just minutes using a simple Google search.
Our new connected lives give hackers an infinitely larger surface area on which to launch their attacks. We must not focus on just securing our desktop computers. Desktop computers owned by individuals or companies can be rapidly and safely secured by installing an antivirus for Windows or antivirus for Mac depending on which version of OS your device runs. As for the companies, please remember that professional cybersecurity firms are offering good cybersecurity packages that can be used to test your company’s network integrity by running various tests like penetration test and ethical hacking tests.
Nowadays the biggest cybersecurity problem is represented by the new array of home gadgets that range from kids’ toys to CCTV cameras, baby monitors, smart homes and smart TVs.
Now we must set the standards for developing security practices for IoT devices. We think that security of the IoT should be implemented and designed globally by manufacturers – as IoT devices are made for worldwide consumption.
To stay protected, we strongly advise users to do the following:
• Always change the default password. Use a complex one instead and do not forget to update it regularly
• Pay close attention to security issues of connected devices before purchasing yet another device for your home or office
• Check to see if the product can be updated and always apply updates as soon as they are published
• Install of antivirus for Windows or antivirus for Mac, depending on which version of OS your devices run
• If you are a company that is using IoT devices, check your network integrity by running various tests like penetration test and ethical hacking tests at least once a year.