Significant cybersecurity problems have been encountered in 2017, we have recorded 9.32 billion malware attacks and saw more than 12,500 new Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE).
The annual cybersecurity threat report includes, compares and contrasts actions made by both cybersecurity professionals and cybercriminals.
• Cyber attacks are becoming the No. 1 risk to companies, brands, operations, and financials
• 9.32 billion total malware attacks in 2017, an 18.4 percent year-over-year increase from 2016
You can keep your system safe against this kind of cybersecurity threats by opting for a reliable cybersecurity solution. Depending on which OS you are using install an antivirus for Windows or install an antivirus for Mac to be fully protected against all type of cyber attacks.
• Ransomware attacks dropped from 638 million to 184 million between 2016 and 2017
• Ransomware variants like WannaCry, Petya, NotPetya and Bad Rabbit, increased 101.2 percent
Ransomware affects companies that are poorly cyber secure. A robust, strong cybersecurity solution can be implemented by cybersecurity specialists only after their run some advance cybersecurity tests to your company network, like penetration tests, and ethical hacking tests. This kind of checks must be made once a year because cyber security threats evolve.
• Traffic encrypted by SSL/TLS standards increased 24 percent, now representing 68 percent of total traffic
• Without SSL decryption capabilities in place, the average organization will see almost 900 attacks per year hidden by SSL/TLS encryption
If you are running a 100% online business, consider using only cyber-secured web hosting services to keep your data safe against all cyber attacks.
Total ransomware attack volume declines
• Volume dropped by 71.2 percent from the 638 million ransomware attacks • The Americas were hit the most, receiving 46 percent of all ransomware attack attempts in 2017
• Europe saw 37 percent of ransomware attacks in 2017
Implement a strong cybersecurity solution is a key to staying safe against this type of threats. Always keep your device protected by antivirus for Windows or antivirus for Mac depending on which OS you have running in them.
SSL/TLS use increases again
Web traffic encrypted by SSL/TLS standards made yet another significant jump in 2017.
• Encrypted SSL/TLS traffic increased 24 percent
• SSL/TLS traffic made up 68 percent of total traffic in 2017
• Companies are starting to implement security controls, such as deep packet inspection (DPI) of SSL/TLS traffic, to responsibly inspect, detect and mitigate attacks in encrypted traffic and cyber-secured web hosting services are something common nowadays.
The effectiveness of exploit kits impacted
Because of browsers dropping support for Adobe Flash, no critical flash vulnerabilities were discovered in 2017. But this didn’t stop cybercriminals from attempting new strategies.
• Microsoft Edge attacks grew 13 percent in 2017 over 2016
• Attacks against Acrobat, Acrobat DC, Reader DC and Reader were down across the board
• New targeted applications (e.g., Apple TV, Microsoft Office) reached our top 10 for the first time.
Law enforcement turns the tide
• Law enforcement agencies are making an impact by arresting and convicting malware authors and disruptors
• Cybercriminals are being more careful with how they conduct business, including dynamic cryptocurrency wallets and using different transaction currencies
• Cooperation between national and international law enforcement agencies is strengthening the disruption of global cyber threats.
Unique types of ransomware found in the wild
• Ransomware variants increased 101.2 percent in 2017
• Researchers created 2,855 new unique ransomware signatures in 2017, up from the 1,419 published in 2016
• Ransomware against IoT and mobile devices is expected to increase in 2018.
Rules that must be followed:
• Always backup your data as often as possible
• Update OS and Apps as soon as updates are available
• Depending on which OS you are using please install an antivirus for windows or install an antivirus for mac
• If you are a company opt for a reliable cybersecurity solution that can only be implemented by cybersecurity specialists just after their run some advance cybersecurity tests to your company network, like penetration tests, and ethical hacking tests.
• Use a cyber-secured web hosting service